Thanksgiving has got to be one of my favorite holidays. I love turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce and stuffing. This year’s dinner took place at Sister-in-law #1 (SIL1)’s place and it was so nice to have Mother-in-law (MIL) from Maui joining us.
The only people missing were SIL4 and BIL4 who are in Korea right now, but they joined us via Skype. We propped up the Mac laptop on top of a dining chair and it was as if they were right here with us at the table! We even “pretend fed” them Thanksgiving turkey through the webcam, since they couldn’t get their hands on any in Korea.
On my plate (clockwise from top):
- Herb mixed salad with blue cheese and cranberries (made by SIL1)
- Stuffing, cranberry sauce (“made” by me)
- Mashed potatoes with sour cream (BIL1)
- Turkey, rice, gravy (me)
- Guava jelly glazed ham (SIL2)
- Yams with marshmallows (SIL1)
- Potato salad with bacon (BIL1)
- Not pictured, but for dessert we had SIL2’s homemade pecan pie and SIL1’s pumpkin pie shortbread. Yum!
I’m so stuffed… I wasn’t so pleased with the way the turkey and gravy turned out this year (a little dry). Does anyone know a foolproof recipe for moist turkey?
In addition to being thankful for being blessed with an awesome family (both real and in-law), good health and a wonderful husband, I am thankful this year for Skype which has made all the difference for me in connecting with faraway family and for bringing my long distance phone bill down.